Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Josefina Javelina: A Hairy Tale (2005)

Josefina Javelina: A Hairy Tale by Susan Lowell (2005) was a disappointment for me. I’d only read one other book by Susan Lowell, The Tortoise and the Jackrabbit (1994), which I loved. The text and story were well crafted. The art was beautiful. A Hairy Tale was without the same charm. Josefina dreams of becoming a ballerina. One day she moves to Pasadena to visit her cousin Angelina. She auditions at the Big Break Talent Agency only to find a wolf in sheep’s clothing. As she and her cousin run from the wolf, Josefina accidentally enters the spotlight. She becomes a star, a star who misses her roots. It’s an ok plot made even more mediocre by Bruce MacPherson’s caricatures. Over the top cartoonish illustrations make this silly story even more ridiculous. 


Josefina Javelina: A Hairy Tale (2005)

Josefina Javelina: A Hairy Tale by Susan Lowell (2005) was a disappointment for me. I’d only read one other book by Susan Lowell, The Tort...