Tuesday, September 15, 2026

When I Was Young in the Mountains (1982)

When I Was Young in the Mountains was Cynthia Rylant’s first picture book (1982). Diane Goode’s illustrations earned it a Caldecott Honor. This is a slice-of-life story. It’s without a rising action, conflict, nor resolution. Just a few sentences per page describe a way of life characterized by hard work and simple, joyful pleasures. It’s told by a young girl who lives with her grandparents and younger brother. Grandfather works in a mine. Grandmother makes cornbread. The girl pumps water from a well, swims in a dark and muddy watering hole, shops at a small country store, and takes a bath in a metal tub. It’s an idyllic perspective. “I never wanted to go anywhere else in the world, for I was in the mountains. And that was always enough." 

When I Was Young in the Mountains (1982)

When I Was Young in the Mountains was Cynthia Rylant ’s first picture book (1982). Diane Goode ’s illustrations earned it a Caldecott Honor...