The World is not a Rectangle: a Portrait of Architect Zaha Hadid by Jeanette Winter (2017) is a pretty straight forward synopsis of Hadid’s career. The text is dull and the illustrations are adequate. If you’re looking for a biography with an academic feel, this is the book for you. Zaha Hadid is less an interesting person and more a force of nature. There’s barely any reference to her childhood beyond her observations of the natural world. She comes across as a loner, which I suppose makes sense given her unique artistic vision. I watched a brief documentary about the building of One Thousand Museum in Miami. It appeared to be an extremely challenging project. This is an important story. I wish I’d learned more about Hadid rather than a timeline of her professional life.
Josefina Javelina: A Hairy Tale (2005)
Josefina Javelina: A Hairy Tale by Susan Lowell (2005) was a disappointment for me. I’d only read one other book by Susan Lowell, The Tort...
-
Frederick by Leo Lionni values the imagination. While Frederick's family gathers food supplies for the winter, Frederick sit...
-
Molly and the Sword by Robert Shlasko, (1996) is unoriginal and tedious. Molly is a good daughter who demonstrates qualities one mi...