Friday, September 5, 2025

in Just Spring (1923, 1998)

 in Just-spring by E.E.Cummings (1923 first copyright) is illustrated by Heidi Goennel (1988) in a thin book with large print. This book is for the very young poet, or anyone who loves to play with language and how it appears on a page. The word “mudluscious” has got to be the most fun word I’ve ever read. I imagine it was a challenge for Goennel to illustrate this poem. Her pictures are minimalistic; the children have no faces. I suppose you could say they correspond to a minimalism in the poetry. I don’t know how to talk about poetry, so I’ll leave it to the more knowledgeable to enjoy this book.


Night of the Moonjellies (1992)

Night of the Moonjellies by Mark Shasta (1992) is a true story. It takes place in New London, Connecticut. Most of the story is about a refr...