Friday, April 25, 2025

Eating the Alphabet: Fruits and Vegetables from A to Z (1989)

 Eating the Alphabet: Fruits and Vegetables from A to Z by Lois Ehlert (1989) is a brilliantly colorful paperback that opens with a rhyme. Then it simply fills each page with huge pictures of foods. I just heard on a podcast that Sesame Street not only taught children the alphabet, but also taught them to love television. I'm grateful to alphabet books for teaching children to love reading. The vocabulary in this book is in upper and lower case. There’s back matter with definitions for each word. For example, “The apricot is probably native to China and has grown in Central Asia and Europe for centuries.”


Josefina Javelina: A Hairy Tale (2005)

Josefina Javelina: A Hairy Tale by Susan Lowell (2005) was a disappointment for me. I’d only read one other book by Susan Lowell, The Tort...