Sunday, June 9, 2024

I Love My Hair (2011)

 

 Emily, the main character in I Love My Hair by Anne Matheson, begins each day with gratitude. Her hair is just one of the many things she loves about her life.   A happy-go-lucky tale, there is no problem to be solved, no conflict, and no drama. Amanda Savo's illustrations are light and airy with a pink theme. 
"Every morning Emily gets up early, looks in the mirror and sings, I love my hair!" Adults who keep a gratitude journal will recognize that Emily is practicing a positive outlook. Alongside a list of loves, the refrain recognizes how Emily is unique: "…and no one else has a ___________ like me." The pages feature hearts, flowers, colorful birds, and pink-pink-pink. The illustrations look like a child's coloring book - line drawings colored in with crayon. Therefore, it's easy to suggest that young readers draw their own books of gratitude after reading this story.

The Santa Clauses (1986)

The Santa Clauses retold by Achim Broger is a cute story of a young boy who saves Christmas. In this story, the little guy learns that ther...