Monday, February 21, 2022

The Way I Feel (2000)

 The Way I Feel by Janan Cain (2000) teaches readers the valuable vocabulary of emotions. Each illustration is a two-page spread dedicated to one feeling and the rhyming text is only two or three sentences. Sometimes the words appear in straight lines and sometimes they float across a page. "The wheel fell off my brand new truck -- I needed some help from you. You kindly fixed my favorite toy. I'm thankful for all you do." At the end of the book is "A Note to Parents" with four suggestions including "Ask your child what circumstances make him or her feel happy, sad, jealous, and so on." My only caution is that there seems to be only two faces of color amongst the children. 

The Santa Clauses (1986)

The Santa Clauses retold by Achim Broger is a cute story of a young boy who saves Christmas. In this story, the little guy learns that ther...