Sunday, November 7, 2021

*Luba and the Wren (1999)

      *Luba and the Wren by Patricia Polacco (1999) is a heartwarming story. When I look at the cover illustration, I can almost hear the wren in my yard. It’s loud and lyrical voice has brightened many of my mornings and evenings. Luba saves this wren from a fowler's net. (New vocabulary word for me.) The wren is enchanted and offers to grant Luba a wish. “‘But I am content, I have no wish,’” she replies. Ah, but her parents—they have many wishes. They demand that Luba ask the wren to grant their greedy requests. The resolution brings this predictable theme to a surprising and holy end. This is only the second book by Polacco that I’ve read, and I’m hooked. Her illustration style and thoughtful insight will draw me to any of her titles in the future.

     Teaching the "Wright" Way has Luba and the Wren ook Study and Literacy Center Activities. Learning Through Lit has two products: Luba and the Wren Discussion Cards and a Comprehension Digital and Printable. 

 

The Santa Clauses (1986)

The Santa Clauses retold by Achim Broger is a cute story of a young boy who saves Christmas. In this story, the little guy learns that ther...