Saturday, October 9, 2021

Another Celebrated Dancing Bear (1991)

 Another Celebrated Dancing Bear (1991) by Gladys Scheffrin-Falk is a sweet tale of true friendship. Max is a dancer in the Moscow Circus. He enjoys his job. Boris, in contrast, grows tired of his job at the animal hospital. “All I do is walk around with a pencil behind my ear.” Boris works on a career change. He takes dancing lessons from his friend. “Boris bought records and played them as he danced. When he was too tired to practice, he read books about famous dancers.” And in time he became a celebrated dancing bear.The unusual illustrations drew me to this story of friendship. And I was grateful for the note about the pictures on the copyright page. The pictures are etchings by Barbara Garrison. Etchings are exacting works of art. I was thrilled to hold a book of etchings in my hands.

  

The Santa Clauses (1986)

The Santa Clauses retold by Achim Broger is a cute story of a young boy who saves Christmas. In this story, the little guy learns that ther...