Saturday, May 29, 2021

The Tortoise and the Jackrabbit (1993)

      The Tortoise and the Jackrabbit is Susan Lowell's version of a classic fable adds concern for the environment. Her Tortoise is not only slow, but also attentive to the natural world. Tortoise has a long-standing relationship with her neighbors of the desert because she has always moved slowly enough to interact with them. Jackrabbit is so fast that he is blind to those around him. The lesson here is not about winning but about the journey. 

     "The wild desert is a precious place," writes Ms. Lowell. "If it is preserved for future generations of tortoises, jackrabbits, and people, we will all be winners." 

    Polka Dot Poodle has The Tortoise and the Hare. . .Adapted Book Literacy Activities. Scribble Shore has The Hare and the Tortoise Story and Free Printable. Just a note: I don't know how these teachers adapted the story. At the time I created my lesson for this book, I was dismayed by what I felt were distortions of the moral as portrayed in some online videos. So, adults may want to review resources before using them.

     My Picture Book Talk lesson is here. I was so captivated by Lowell's use of punctuation that I created a second lesson just for that. 

The Santa Clauses (1986)

The Santa Clauses retold by Achim Broger is a cute story of a young boy who saves Christmas. In this story, the little guy learns that ther...